The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.
Every school is different, as is every church school. We are a church school because we are linked very closely to St Michael's Church and the community involved with St Michael's Church. However, our school welcomes children from all walks of life.
Church schools with their distinctiveness were primarily founded to provide education for children in local communities, regardless of personal faith. They continue to be inclusive schools and ‘the justification for church schools’ lies in offering children and young people an opportunity to experience the meaning of Christian faith (Dearing 3.9)
• To provide an education of choice that allows learners to critically explore issues of faith, belief and God
• To encourage those of Christian faith, of other faiths and of no faith to engage with what it is to be human
• To provide an education of excellence rooted in Christian values
• To give an understanding of the Christian faith and the customs and practice of the Anglican church
We seek to promote shared values based on Christian teaching throughout the school life so that children come to make behavioural choices based on Christian values. We ensure the worship and prayer life in Church of England schools is deeply engaging and provides children the opportunity to be closer to God. We ensure Religious Education and spiritual, moral, social and cultural development are very strong features of the school as they help children understand the faith of others and the importance of listening and reflection as key parts of the faith journey.
We experience faith through having a daily act of collective worship. During this time:
- We read stories: sometimes these stories are from the bible, sometimes they are from other faiths or they are simply stories that help us explore a value or a moral.
- We sing songs and hymns many of which our parents/carers sang when they were little and some of which are new or written more recently.
- We also have the opportunity for reflection and quiet thought.
Our prayer is very important to us and we all enjoy saying our prayer together. Some of us hope that with lots of voices saying the prayer together it will travel far and be heard by many.
Bless our school
That working together, and praying together,
We may learn to serve you, and serve one another,
In Jesus' name
Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done;
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation;
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
the power and the glory,
for ever and ever.