The internet is an amazing place where you can learn so much, but you need to visit it safely. Think of the internet like visiting a park…if you wouldn’t do it in the park e.g. talk to a stranger, don’t do it online!
Here are some top tips for staying safe:
- Don’t post any personal information online – like your address, email address or mobile number.
- Think carefully before posting pictures or videos of yourself. Once you’ve put a picture of yourself online most people can see it and may be able to download it, it’s not just yours anymore.
- Keep your privacy settings as high as possible
- Never give out your passwords
- Don’t befriend people you don’t know
- Don’t meet up with people you’ve met online. Speak to your parent or carer about people suggesting you do
- Remember that not everyone online is who they say they are
- Think carefully about what you say before you post something online
- Respect other people’s views, even if you don’t agree with someone else’s views doesn’t mean you need to be rude
- If you see something online that makes you feel uncomfortable, unsafe or worried: leave the website, turn off your computer if you want to and tell a trusted adult immediately.
- Anything you are unsure about, report it to CEOP https://www.ceop.police.uk/safer-by-design/safety-centre/